Friday, October 16, 2009

Commitment Issues

I wonder what changed in the last several months, aside from Obama's inauguration, that suddenly has everyone declaring Afghanistan unworthy of our nation's time and effort. American support for the Iraq War has decreased significantly since mid-2003, but our involvement in Afghanistan has always been more popular (though not always more important).

Doing only a quick look at Gallup poll numbers, it seems to me that the war in Afghanistan is suffering less from a lack of coherent strategy than from general war fatigue.

The fact that Afghans hope we continue to work with them should not be taken lightly, and I think we have an overwhelming moral obligation to stay in both Iraq and Afghanistan until the job is done. I'll outline what that means to me another day... that post definitely requires more research and time.

No comments:

Reads: